Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What Is Philosophy??

When I first signed up for this class I wasn't really sure what to expect. All I knew is that I definately didn't think it would be a philosophy class. I thought it was going to be more along the lines of psychology and why humans act the way they do. So our first assignment was to find a definition of philosophy and thanks to the Webster's Dictionary here is what I came up with....

"Philosophy is the study of the principles underlying conduct, thought, and the nature of the universe."

Webster's also defined philosophy as...

"The general principles of a field of knowledge."

And yet another definition Webster's gave was...

"Philosophy is a particular system of principles for the conduct of life."

When searching the web for a definition many of the websites said philosophy is the "love of wisdom". Now our next assignment was are first Q&A about human nature. Thanks to this assignment as of right now I tend to lean towards the first definition that Webster's provided. I think it will be interesting to see if as we continue through the semester if the definition I lean towards changes or if I find a completely different definition. One thing that I am not sure if I will ever understand and thus would like to get your opinions is....

What is the point to philosophoy? What does it accomplish?

1 comment:

  1. I have responded to your question "What is the point to philosophoy? What does it accomplish?"

    ReplyDelete