As well all know and have made known in class in science when things are categorized by kingdoms we are considered animals. So although we are not the same species we are considered to be a form of an animal. The definition of cannibalism- the eating of human flesh by another human being or the eating of the flesh of an animal by another animal of its own kind. I understand the definition but if one wants to get real technical because humans are considered animals when we eat one does that mean we are performing an act of cannibalism?
To me this is a very debatable question. I suppose if you were a meat eater you would say that it isn't cannibalism that it is "natural"...common and an accepted fact of human nature. And if you aren't a meat eater I would suppose that you may consider the cannibalism theory as true.
I do eat some meat but I am still not sure how I would answer this...I am kind of on the fence. I mean I do agree that it is "natural" to some degree. Humans and animals have be doing it since the beginning of time as a means of survival. Although we don't "need" to eat meat in order to survive many of us do not only because we like it but because we like a wider variety in our diet. But I also kind of agree with the cannibalism theory...(I am the one who brought it up). So this brings us back to the debate of whether or not it is morally right to eat meat.
Question:
How do you feel regardless of whether you are a meat eater or not (although that fact may influence your answer) about this cannibalism theory I presented and why??
Eating meat may be wrong, but I do not think that it could be called canibalism. A lion and an antelope are both animals and one eats the other. This is certainly not canibalism, though it is an animal eating an animal. I think canibalism is best defined as a member of a specific species eating another member of that same species.
ReplyDeleteI have responded to your question
ReplyDeleteI understand your point Kim..it all depends on your thoughts and beliefs about eating meating and thus what your defintion of cannibalism is....it different for everyone...and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
ReplyDelete