Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sleep

Sleep is another essential thing to the survival of humans. All of us do it...it is another thing that is just apart of our human nature. Thanks to many scientific sleep studies, scientists have come to agree that the recommended average amount of sleep someone should get in a night is 8 hours but as we age the recommended amount of hours changes. According to these studies the older we get the less we need.

Even though I am a psychology major because of personal experiences I am not as confindent that this is true. I felt like as a kid I had away more energy than I do now. Even watching youger kids I feel like they have more energy than I do. Also when my grandmother use to babysit she would fall alseep on the couch all the time. And it seemed as she got older she did it even more. As for myself now-a-days it doesn't seem to matter how many hours of sleep I get I am always tired and wishing that I could sleep longer. So based on what I have observed it seems to me that we need the exact opposite of what the studies say....as you get older you need more. Although babies do sleep alot so maybe it is more like a bell curve....as a baby you need a lot but as one goes through childhood you need less and then once you enter adolescents and continue to age you start to need more and more.

As I stated before it is definatley apart of our nature to sleep. Again it is need for survival...everyone has to sleep. And again the recommended amount of sleep is 8 hours. But we are all different and thus some of us need more or less sleep than others. So here is my question to you....

Question:

Knowing that it is apart of human nature to sleep why is it then that we all don't sleep the same? And because it is apart of our nature why do some of us have sleeping disorder???

3 comments: