Does anyone really know the difference? Is there a difference? As far as I am concerned the answer is no. Patriot is defined as one who loves and zealously supports one’s own country, according to Webster’s Dictionary. Also according to Webster, nationalism is defined as devotion to one’s nation; patriotism or the advocacy/support of national independence. See what I mean; what’s the difference expect the wording? And notice how the word patriotism is used in the definition of nationalism? Even the Microsoft Encarta Thesaurus lists the two as synonyms of each other. So how can we be expected to know a difference if the almighty dictionary and thesaurus doesn’t list them as different. To me it doesn’t matter, according to the article we read by Jenson I am an internationalist and in reality I think most of us are. I just don’t see how anyone can say they are being loyal to their country when they don’t agree with everything it is doing. And for people who participate in overseas business exchanges I don’t see how they can only be loyal to their country because they must also respect the country they are doing business with in order to continue doing business. I think you can still be considered supportive to your country even if you support another country (like in the case that you had to move). I only think this becomes controversial when they are fighting against each other. If this were to happen it would raise many questions such as who do you choose or don’t you.
Question:
Do you believe that in order to be considered completely loyal to your country you have to be willing to physically fight for it??
I responded to your question in my blog.
ReplyDelete