Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Why and How?

It is very apparent in our class and outside the classroom that people are fasinated with the questions why and how. The human race ia always trying to figure out why and how things work. A perfect example would be psychologists studying human behavior and other such things. And even better, philosophy. All of our discussions in class revolve around the question of human nature (thus the title of the class). But why do we care so much, why can't we just accept things the way they are.

I suppose I could be viewed as biased because I am a psychology major and I picked this major because I want to know how the brain works...why we "tick" or why we do the things we do...and it has occurred to me that some of it may have something to do with our development while the rest of it has to do with the environment....the nature vs nurture debate. But just like I think many of us do...I want to know where it all begins. It's interesting to think how our lives would be different, slightly or dramatically, just because one little thing was different. It could even be from something as simple as answer a question differently...like instead of saying yes you said no.

It would be a very time consumming task to trace everything back to the "beginning" (if there even is one) and it would aslso be very difficult because of all the other possibilities of outcomes. We would end up with more "what if" questions than we already have.

Question:

Why are we fasinated with the questions why and how everything works...Why are we so interested in why we do everything we do?

No comments:

Post a Comment