So the saying goes what they don't know won't hurt them. This saying also reminds me of the question; if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound? But I want to concentrate on the first saying for this blog entry.
In many ways I believe the saying is true...how can someone(s) be hurt by something if they don't know about it. I am sure all of us have at leeast one thing that we have kept from our parents because we were and maybe still are afraid of what their reaction would be along with the consequences. I know I fall into this category and many times when speaking to someone we can tell we either defend ourselves saying "what they don't know won't hurt them" or the person we are talking to tells us this. I am 99.9% positive that if my parents and others knew some of my secrets our relationship would be totally different and probably not in a better way. So yes sometimes I depend on this saying.
But what happens if they are suspicious and they start finding "clues" or hearing things and end up finding out your secret anyways then what? Honestly I don't know and I am afraid to find out because like I said above the reason for keeping something a secret in the first place was because of fear of the consequences. Personally I think that if they did find out it would hurt them and it would probably hurt them more than had they been told truthfully up front. It could also hurt the person keeping the secret even more because the consequences could be worse than what they would have been and it could ruin the relationship even more. So in this case what someone doesn't know could end up hurting them.
Question:
What do you think....does the saying, "what they don't know won't hurt them" hold true???
No comments:
Post a Comment